Tuesday, April 28, 2009

That Stupid Thing I Think About (Update)

As regular readers of this blog know, I've been obsessing in recent weeks over the floor plan of the WKRP offices as they appear in the classic sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati (which I'd been watching on DVD). My first crack at what seemed a reasonable arrangement (until I saw more details in later episodes) was posted here. I know now that this layout was incorrect, but until a couple of days ago I couldn't figure out how to reconcile the placement of windows in various shots, from various perspectives, with other clues as to how everything fit together. A couple days ago, I had a revelation: an air shaft! As I monkeyed around with this idea, I finally came up with this:

This seems pretty reasonable, again given the various visual clues, but I'm still troubled by a couple of points. One is that in the narrative flow of certain episodes, one is given to understand that the broadcast studio is somehow adjacent to the door in the bullpen that, in this rendering, is around at least two corners. Also, the closet is a fabrication-- I have no way of knowing it exists, but without it, I'm left with a major void either in that spot or where I have the storeroom located. Another point: an additional wall of the building is visible out the bullpen window, and I can't account for it in any satisfactory way. I know, I know, it's just a TV show, but when I'm on my morning ride (on the stationary bike), I need something to occupy my mind, and at least for a little while longer, this is it. If you have any advice or ideas I should consider, please pass them along.

No comments: